Monday, September 21, 2009

From Certified Juror to New Kid on the Blog

....::::::Jury Duty::::::....


Eyes heavy as sandbags, 7 am as I suited up for that daily grind at the ol' nine-to-five at Malibu Courthouse. Its actually Monday, my first day. Had it been my second or third day, I would have known that it is "Juror Appreciation Week"

Needless to say, I was very nervous for my first day on the job, especially because I arrived 15 minutes late with a fresh starbucks drink in my hand. I was afraid they would either judge me or reject me. I tried to hide it in my purse right side up so it wouldn’t spill on my Archie comics, new spiral notebook from Michaels with 3 ready printed lists (stuff to watch, read, and listen to), or, GOD FORBID, my precious Blackberry, Joseph. The girl at the desk knew my dirty secret, I am sure of it. Who knows, that could be the reason the end of this story is so bittersweet.

When I got to check-in, I was informed of my termination. I mean, I was nervous and all, but never did I imagine getting fired before I even started! She asked me if I needed proof of my service this morning for my employer, a vicious stab at me knowing very well that I quit my other job for this, what I thought was a swinging door of opportunity, my last fighting chance at freedom and justice.

Christina (the girl at the desk) sent me on my way with a juror word search, a Malibu Courthouse pencil, and my two new proudest possessions: a juror bookmark and a sticker that says "I served." Although short-lived, I will always cherish my career as a certified juror.

No comments:

Post a Comment